Thursday, November 15, 2007

quelquefois c'est de la merde

Sometimes living in Paris is really, really fucking frustrating. Some examples:
  1. I lost my monthly metro pass (my "carte orange") two days after I bought it. It wasn't even my fault; the stupid plastic holder they gave me for it broke and it just fell out. Despite still having the receipt, they refused to give me a new one. "I'm sorry madame, but it is like an article of clothing. If you lose it and have the receipt, they still cannot give you a new one." Well, actually it's a stupid peice of paper, not an article of clothing. So now I'm out 53 euros. But I just got a new yearly student card, and hopefully I'll be reimbursed for it 50% (cause I live in the suburbs, and the conseil general of my area gives a reimbursement).
  2. Stupid metro stikes (the second one I've seen so far) are screwing up my life, and the life or every other Parisien for that matter. They are on strike cause Sarkozy wants to get rid of the special early retirement priviledges those unions receive. It's so stupid. So now I have to walk to school (which is about 45 minutes to an hour, not nearly as bad as it could be). My friend Matt is even living with me for the moment 'cause my apartment is much more stragically located to his school and job (plus I feed him).
  3. My internet still isn't working. But some guy is supposed to come on Monday to fix the messed up telephone line, and hopefully it will all be better then. I'll have internet, telephone, and even TV! (they are all connected to the telephone line with the service I have).
  4. I have an expose on Friday the 23rd. 30 minutes, in French, in front of French students, on William Hogarth (an 18th c English painter and engraver). I am just scared about that. I will let you all know how it goes afterwards.
  5. The other day I had to go to 5 different libraries to find one book. Each library just kept telling me that it was at another address. I eventually ended up at the Musee Central de Louvre, which is more for museum curators and students if they have a teacher's note. It wasn't a big library, as I believe there are a few different small libraries at the Louvre, but it was cool that I somehow got myself in. Yay! And I got to discover a bunch of new libraries, like the INHA (Insitut National de l'Histoire de l'Art) which was a really magnificent oval-shaped library that I wasn't allowed to go into but was really cool looking anyways.

So I'm not really angry at France. I just needed to get those few things off my chest. And today is the 15th of novembre, when the Nouvelle Beaujolais comes out! So I plan to drink some excellent wine tonight!

4 comments:

User said...

Sorry to hear about the metro mishaps in Paris... I can only imagine how F'd the city is if the Metro is down.

You will kick ass on that expose. Don't worry about that merde!


Steve

Anonymous said...

Thanks Steve. I'm feeling better about the metro thing now, shit happens. I hope the expose goes well! I've done a lot of work on it and I feel pretty good about it at the moment. I will let you know how it alls goes.

-V

Mary said...

Hey Vero,
I hope the expose goes well, but I agree with Steve, you WILL kick some serious 'queue'.
Also, that thing about the metro? That totally sucks. At least you can walk to school in a reasonable amount of time though; if the bus system wasn't working while I was in Ottawa, there would be absolutely no way I could get to work by myself. I'd have to call a cab or something. Still, walking to school IS a bit of a drag.
How was the Beaujolais? Stas says that he wishes he were there to drink it. I don't know what it tastes like, but I still hope it was good wine.
Is your internet up? I sure hope it is because otherwise you won't be enjoying the comforts of home while you read this message.
Anyways, I've sent you a postcard and I hope it reaches you before the holidays. Are you coming back to Canada for X-mas, or are you staying in France?
-Mary

Véronique said...

Hey Mary, I will try to kick some ass. Maybe not "queue," as that is French slang for dick, and I may be a bitch but I try not to kick those. The beaujolais is delicious, you should get some at the LCBO. Thanks for sending a card! I will let you know when I get it. I am coming back to Montreal for Christmas, from Dec. 23 to Jan 3. Not a long break, I know!