Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Words I've learnt

from Ken Follett's The Pillars of the Earth, which I am presently reading

lu·gu·bri·ous /lʊˈgubriəs, -ˈgyu-/ [loo-goo-bree-uhs, -gyoo-]
–adjective
mournful, dismal, or gloomy, esp. in an affected, exaggerated, or unrelieved manner: lugubrious songs of lost love.
[Origin: 1595–1605; <>-ous]

re·con·noi·ter (rē'kə-noi'tər, rěk'ə-)
v. tr. To make a preliminary inspection of, especially in order to gather military information. v. intr. To make a reconnaissance.
[Obsolete French reconnoître, from Old French reconoistre, to recognize; see recognize.]

Things are going well in Paris, by the way. My cousin Dave arrives tomorrow! I'm very excited, but less excited to have to get up at 7am to meet him at the airport. I'm hoping we get the chance to visit Amsterdam together. This song has been inspiring me to see the city. I mean, I've seen the airport, so it's time I see the rest of it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bahaha.. advertisement'ed!

-Christopher

Véronique said...

But....they said my blog was "interesting"! This empty praise convices me of thei rauthenticity.