Monday, January 28, 2008

1st term here officially "un fait accompli" (assuming I didn't fail any courses)

I wrote my final test for "Roman, Cinema, Societe" (I really don't know how to do accents on this laptop) and I mean, I didn't bother to study that much, but I think it went OK. It wasn't exactly my favourite course, and ultimately I just wanted to pass it and get it all behind me.

After that, I went les galaries nationales du grand palais to see the Gustave Courbet exhibit. It was really packed as it was the last day for the it, but I'm really glad I went. I really don't know much about Courbet, but I am somewhat familiar with a few of his works. Here is a sampling of what I saw:

This was the exhibition's poster, with one of his self-portraits



Burials at Ornans, which is incredibly huge. I looked it up, it's about 10 feet high and 21 feet long. I'm constantly impressed by how gigantic some of the paintings I've studied really are.

The (in)famous L'origine du monde

His paintings were really cool and interesting. I also loved his landscapes and hunting scenes. The Musee d'Orsay has a good webpage if you're interested in learning more.

After the exbibt, I came back home. Erin and her friend Bobby came over later to eat some pasta and oreos, and watch C.R.A.Z.Y., a wonderful French-Canadian movie if you've never seen it.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Hmm......that painting, 'L'origine du monde'....I don't know. I don't think I like it that much! Oh well.
Done another term! Good job! :D
Too bad I couldn't celebrate with you - and I don't know anything about C.R.A.Z.Y. Was it really that good? I know one of the films I'm most excited to see is 'Persepolis' - you should see the trailer. I hear it's awesome. I saw 'Juno' over the holidays as well - definitely see that one!

Well, keep posting and I'll keep reading and replying!

p.s. I have some new music that you should listen too: try
Kate Nash - 'We Get On'
Sia - 'That Girl'

Really, you should listen to their albums, but I think that those 2 songs are top-notch. Maybe I'll burn some stuff on a CD and send it to you. You should recommend me some stuff too! :)

Véronique said...

"L'origine du monde" is a pretty intense painting, so I can't blame you for not liking it. I'm not sure if I'm a big fan either, but it's definitely *interesting*.

About the movies: CRAZY is a film you need to see. I could describe the plot, but it's probably easier to look on IMDB.com or something. Persepolis looks incredible, and Juno comes out here tomorrow (Feb 6) and I'm super-excited to see it.

Now I'll head to Youtube to find those songs. Can't think of any music to recommend to you, but I'll keep my thinking cap on. :-}