Monday, November 15, 2010

I spent the weekend in 1964

So this past weekend I was in Quebec City with my parents. It was a great chance to catch up with my mom's aunt, an 88-year-old woman who we dubbed "the blue aunt" because she loves blue, especially when it comes to home decor. However, what struck me about her house is that it looks like a set from Mad Men. Her house is a shrine to the 1960s. So here I present a salute to my aunt's lovely house and to the swingin' home furnishing trends of the '60s.


First, here is her house:



And here's the living room. Note the abundance of blue:



I love that the curtains match the couches!



I adore these hanging dishes, which make a nice arrangement in the dining room:


Moving on to the... I'm not sure how to define this room. This is where she watches TV and drinks her nightly Panaché (1 part Cinzano bianco vermoth with 1 part Martini Rosso vermoth served in a low-ball glass with ice and a slice of lemon).

There's a nice built-in desk in this room.



In true 60's-style, the desk holds the booze.


The herringbone pattern on the furniture is carried through to the tray and box on the table.

There's a lovely set of Larousse encyclopedias from 1964.


And here's my lovely aunt enjoying her drink :-)

This is a shot of the telephone and conversion mechanism thingy in the kitchen:

And her late-husband's office (where I slept).


She also has some lovely artwork in her house, but I might save that for another post.



1 comment:

Erin said...

So adorable! I just love how sharp it looks...she's a gem ;)